Fort Lauderdale Florida History
The history of Fort Lauderdale, Florida, began over 4,000 years ago with the Tequesta Indians who have inhabited the area for more than a thousand years. Inhabited the areas that were later occupied by the city of Ft. Lauderdale and its neighboring cities Miami, Fort Myers and Miami-Dade County, Florida, for more than 1,500 years TheTequestA Indians were responsible for settling an area in the south - the central part of the state of Florida, near the current campus of Florida State University - that had previously been inhabited by them for more than a hundred years.
The area remained largely undeveloped until the few new residents arrived and Pompano left, influencing the era of the Florida land boom. During this time, Fort Lauderdale and Miami were among the most popular tourist destinations in the state of Florida and the United States. Donat forget the cheap prices they enjoyed, as well as the high quality hotels, restaurants and hotels. Today, Fort Broward, Miami-Dade County and Fort Myers, Florida are the leading tourist destinations within the United States, offering a wide selection of restaurants, hotels and entertainment for tourists and locals alike.
Bring your family to History Fort Lauderdale for an entertainment program that includes traditional Aztec dancers and Tloke Nahuake. For more information on Fort Lauderdale history, call 954-463-4431 or visit our website or Facebook page or follow us on Twitter at @ HistoryFortLauderdale.
The Everglades Presbytery was officially chartered in the 1960s and was to be called the United States Episcopal Church of the Holy Trinity in Fort Lauderdale. The Americans founded a new capital city in Tallahassee, which was located at the intersection of Interstate 95 and US Highway 1. In 1855, the Americans joined East Florida and West Florida, with most of West Florida annexed to the Orleans Territory and Mississippi Territory. It was home to one of our favorite football teams and the original Fort Lauderdale Strikers, who played in Major League Soccer (MLS), the National Football League (NFL) and other professional leagues.
After the war, the military personnel remained in Fort Lauderdale and returned to Fort Lauderdale, which rapidly increased the population. In 1830, 70 residents lived in the New River Settlement, which later became known as Fort Lauderdale. Cox reached the Everglades in 1832 and made Fort Myers the first US Army entry gate into Florida. It was in 1830 when about 70 people lived in a settlement on the east side of Fort Miami-Dade County, and one of them was William Cooley. After the Civil War, Fort Florida became a naval and coast guard base, with a naval base and a military hospital.
The federal government acquired land northeast of the city for an airfield to support the construction of the Fort Lauderdale Naval Air Force Base and Fort Myers Air Force Base. Declared surplus by the Navy in 1948, the Broward County property was leased to become Jova House, a two-story, three-bedroom house on the east side of Fort Miami-Dade County. The house was purchased in 1975 by the Fort Lauderdale Historical Society and a project to restore the house in its 1915 configuration began. With its first deployment, it is the only surviving example of a military building in the history of the city.
The development began in 1896, when the Florida East Coast Railroad expanded its route from West Palm Beach to the south to the settlement on the way to Miami. In 1896, the FlaEast Coast Railway (FEC) was extended from Miami south to a station in Fort Lauderdale and then south again to West Palm Beach in 1897.
Second, Major William Lauderdale, after whom Fort Lauderdale was named, only stayed in the neighborhood for a month. The expedition, however, achieved little and reported Governor Quesada describing the earliest known description of life in what would one day become Fort Lauderdale.
In total, three forts were to be built, named after Major Lauderdale: the first at the fork of the New River, the second at Bahia Mar and the third at Fort Lauderdale. None of these forts survive as Bahianas Mar and all three were named after him. Lauderdale built the fort at the site where SW 9th Avenue meets SW 4th Court, in the early 20th century, just south of the SW 5th Street Bridge. In total, three forts would have been built after Major Lauderlauderdale, which all survive to this day.
The Second Seminole War, fought between 1835 and 1842, led to the construction of Fort Lauderdale Lagoon on the New River, named after the general who commanded the local war effort. Although the city was not settled permanently until 1893, the fort, which was built during the Seminole Wars in 1838 and named after its commander Major William Lauderdale, got its name because of its proximity to Fort Myers, which was then the largest city in Florida. The United States built two more forts, Bahianas Mar and Bahia Mar, in the Florida Panhandle for the Second Florida War in 1841, and Fort Lauder was named in honor of Major Lauderlauderdale, one of his generals, who had been built by the United States during that war.